[Mageia-sysadm] possibility to add a package in basesystem-minimal? (long)

Jerome Quelin jquelin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:36:39 CET 2011

On 11/11/09 20:41 +0200, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> I see basesystem-minimal pulls only:
> perl-File-Sync
> perl-MDK-Common
> perl-WWW-Curl
> perl-base
>
> do we have some perl-* package that is required for all perl developers,
> but that is not some of the above?

plenty - but that's another discussion. i mean, programming is perl is
mainly assembling lots of cpan packages to achieve what you want to do.
on my machine, i have installed all perl modules, and i think i'm using
around ~70% of them (either directly or through dependencies).

so this is not the right question to ask.

the question is: do you think adding perl-EUMM to basesystem is sthg
that can be done, or has it too much impact?

- if it has too much impact, then i will update magpie to add the
  requires on each and every package. it's not a big deal on my side, it
  will just mean that a lot of packages will be impacted.

- if it can be done, then it'll be easier on the packages history.

so, measuring the impact is the key here. if that's bloating the bs, the
installer, whatever that i don't know which relies on basesystem, then
i'll update magpie. if the impact is light and won't be seen, then it
makes sense to do it on basesystem.

regards,
jérôme