[Mageia-sysadm] Improving the mageia-updates@ messages
anssi at mageia.org
Fri Nov 11 02:28:14 CET 2011
I can think of some improvements to the update announcements:
- Affected distribution
- Updated package version-release (and probably names as well)
- Unnecessary duplication in Subject line, drop the
"Package update: " part since it already has "[updates-announce]".
- Information footer (at least mailing list info, maybe something else)
- Some kind of ID even without a real advisory database (other than
mailing list archives, and some way to prevent duplicate ids by
mistake), so that we can be included in pages like
I suggest format 'MGASA-2011-1' for security updates.
For other updates, maybe 'MGAA-2011-1', or 'MGAUA-2011-1'.
- [mageia-updates] instead of [updates-announce]
Subject: [mageia-updates] MGASA-2011-1: libpng
Mageia Security Advisory MGASA-2011-1
Distribution: Mageia 1
Several vulnerabilities were discovered and corrected in libpng:
* All released versions of libpng (from 1.0 onward) have a buffer
overrun in the code that promotes palette images with transparency
(1 channel) to grayscale+alpha images (2 channels), but only for
applications that call png_rgb_to_gray() and not png_set_expand().
(None are known.) An arbitrary amount of memory may be overwritten
in this case, with arbitrary (attacker-controlled) data.
This vulnerability has been assigned ID CVE-2011-2690.
* libpng 1.2.20 and later crashes in png_default_error() due to internal
use of a NULL pointer instead of the empty string (""). This
has been assigned ID CVE-2011-2691.
* Many (most?) versions of libpng read uninitialized memory when
empty sCAL chunks, and they handle malformed sCAL chunks (those
a delimiting NULL between the internal strings) incorrectly.
This vulnerability has been assigned ID CVE-2011-2692.
The updated packages have been updated to latest stable version to
correct these issues, plus other bug fixes.
Updated packages: (or maybe only src package name + versions, to keep
it shorter for e.g. tb/firefox updates?)
Mageia 1, i586:
Mageia 1, x86_64:
mageia-updates mailing list.
To unsubscribe, blablabla.
More information about the Mageia-sysadm