[Mageia-sysadm] New hardware for mageia servers

Maarten Vanraes maarten at rmail.be
Mon Oct 3 16:27:01 CEST 2011

Op maandag 03 oktober 2011 16:11:04 schreef nicolas vigier:
> > Remember that WD Caviar Black are guaranteed for 5 years. I will send
> > them back to WD. So we will have new Caviar Black for spare.
>
> Yes.

good news, let's go with that.

> >> - backup server : we need a server with a lot of disk space, to save
> >>
> >>    data from other servers. Fast CPU or a lot of ram is not needed on
> >>    this server.
> >>    dams suggested buying this server :
> >>    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=sv4r415&c=fr&
> >>    l=fr&s=bsd&cs=frbsdt1&model_id=poweredge-r415 899 euros
> >>
> >>    adding :
> >>      * Redundant power supply (132 euros)
> >>      * 4 * 1TB disks (4 * 332 euros)
> >>
> >>    Total: 2 261 euros
> >>    So total is quite expensive. An other solution could be to buy a
> >>    cheap computer that one of us keep at home/office, doing remote
> >>    backups. Or maybe we can find someone to donate a server, so that we
> >>    only need to buy disks for the server. Maybe we can ask for hardware
> >>    donations for this server on mageia-dev and/or blog ?
> >
> > Not expensive for my POV as is a new brand machine: if it fails in the
> > first years, no need to buy spare and go to Marseille! Renting a server
> > for
>
> But can they replace the server in Marseille without us going there ? It
> seems difficult.

i think maât can do it.

> If we buy an old server at 200 euros, even if we need to replace it 3
> times, it would still be cheaper than 2000 euros.

i agree here, just buy 3 servers at 200, if one fails, the 2 others are
combined faster than 1 new one, and still cheaper

> > the same time than the guarantee will cost the same (or even better as GB
> > are really expensive when renting) thing for a single "rent".
> >
> >> - server for packagers, to host VMs used to test package builds. This
> >>
> >>    needs to be a fast server, with a lot of RAM. Should we buy an
> >>    expensive server for this now ? Or wait until we have more money, or
> >>    someone donate a server for this ? Or rent a server at 60 euros /
> >>    month on online.net ?
> >
> > A guy from the community offer to rent
> > http://www.online.net/serveur-dedie/offre-dedibox-classic.xhtml
> > Can it suit packagers need (local build machine)?
> > If not enough for packagers build test machine, we know that we will have
> > this "dedibox" available for something else!
> > If no need, we will put the 35€ per month on a other expense.
>
> We need a server for packagers. But preferably something fast as multiple
> people will be building packages at the same time. So the server at 60
> euros per month would be better. Or we can buy a dell server with
> 12 cores, 32GB for 2200 euros :
> http://www.hupstream.com/~boklm/mageia/server-packagers.pdf

i think for buildnode we'll indeed want something good, but if we can't do
multiple builds/node than 12cores is overkill imho.

otoh, if there is a blade enclosure with space left, we could buy a blade (or
2) for that price?

at the same time, i still think that a separate backup server is not required,
i think perhaps if someone has a fast and unlimited internet connection, i'd
be easier to put a small nas into someone's house that can take backups.

Ok, there is no onsite backup, but that's not really required in our case, is
it?