[Mageia-sysadm] ldap server certificate (was: Re: [Mageia-discuss] Fosdem report)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Wed Feb 15 17:12:10 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 11:32:35 Michael Scherer wrote:

> > Wouldn't that make sense?
>
> I fear that some tools would requires CA in a slightly different format
> ( like key in one file, signature in another one ).

Key and cert should ideally be separate.

> For example, postgresql seems to need this ( since I had to write a
> special class for this, see rev 530 and 531 on adm svn.
> This can surely be worked around, but I am not sure if this would
> preserve the certificate signature

It should.

> ( I am rather bad when it come to
> certificate, each time, I think I understood openssl, and in fact, i
> didn't )

openssl x509 -out server.crt -in combined.pem
openssl rsa -out server.key -in combined.pem
?

> > > I would say "our own CA, but that's such a PITA :/
> >
> > Why?
>
> Because openssl is weird :p

That's not the PITA. Handling CSRs, signatures etc. is. But, it is a problem
worth solving, as we really should have a solution for this. We have been
using OpenCA at work for this, with some semi-automated enrolment with
autosscep (and SCEP on Cisco routers, Cisco VPN client etc.).

Regards,
Buchan