[Mageia-sysadm] Backups on fiona.mageia.org

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Feb 20 20:13:14 CET 2012

Hello,

We now have a server with 4TB of disks in raid 5 (3 * 2TB disks).

We have a list of content to backup :
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_Backups

Now we need to select the tools that we want to use for backups.

I think those tools are interesting :

rsnapshot - http://rsnapshot.org/ :
tools based on rsync, keeping multiple backups with hardlinks between
unmodified files to save space. It's simple to setup and is working
well.

bup - https://github.com/apenwarr/bup
A new backup software based on git. Splitting files into chunks, so that
two big files with only small differences will not take twice the space.
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/attachments/2038_bup.pdf

However bup is still in alpha version, so it might not be a good idea to
rely on it for important backups yet. So maybe we can use bup to backup
ISOs and mirror for stable releases as all ISOs and package files have
a lot of data duplication, and are already mirrored on mirrors so it's
less important (but can still be useful in case of filesystem corruption
on valstar). And use rsnapshots for everything else ?

Do you have any other proposals or comments ?