[Mageia-sysadm] [council] A new server to replace rabbit.mageia.org

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Jul 12 12:51:08 CEST 2012

So after some discussions on IRC with coincoin, tmb and pterjan, it was
decided to buy this server from Dell to replace rabbit :

Dell PowerEdge R320
3.5" Chassis with up to 4 Hot Plug Hard Drives
Intel® Xeon® E5-2430 2.20GHz, 15M Cache, 7.2GT/s , Turbo, 6C, 95W
3 x 16GB RDIMM, 1333 MHz, Low Volt, Dual Rank, x4
RAID 1 for H310/H710, 2 SAS/SATA/SSD HDDs
PERC H310 Integrated RAID Controller, Mini-type
2 x 1TB, Near-Line SAS 6Gbps, 3.5-in, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive (Hot Plug)
Dual Hot Plug Power Supplies 350W
iDRAC7 Express

For around 3 260 € without tax. But we hope to have some discount from
Dell, so it should be a little cheaper.

This server will be used to build DVD and LiveCD ISOs. It will also be
used when there is no ISO builds to do full rebuilds of the distribution.

The server does not have SAS disks but only Near-Line SAS. However with
48GB of RAM, we should be able to build ISOs and do package rebuilds
inside a tmpfs, so this should compensate not having SAS disks.

The next topic is now the server to replace ecosse, and coincoin is
preparing a proposal for this server.