[Mageia-sysadm] Migration of the forums

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Sep 19 18:50:56 CEST 2012

Hello,

After yesterday meeting in #mageia-forums, and discussions on forums
mailing list, it seems forums team do not like the way the forums are
currently setup, and there seems to be no cooperation possible between
sysadmin and forums admins, with most of the time spent with endless
fights to tell who is responsible for the problem rather than trying to
fix the problem.

I am tired of spending time on this kind of thing, so in order to stop
this, unless someone else from sysadmin team wants to work on forums,
I suggest sysadmin team do not manage forums setup anymore.

In order to do this :
 - we remove ldap authentication from the forums. Users will have to
   use a separate account and password for the forums. That's already
   what they have to do if they want to use forums in other languages
   than english and german. And after looking at database dumps from phpbb,
   it seems it contains hash of user passwords although we are using ldap
   for authentication, so using ldap authentication with phpbb is maybe
   not a good idea for security anyway.
 - they use their own server, or we provide them a VM on sucuk while
   they don't have one
 - they install the forums however they want, and manage them however
   they want
 - they use a separate domain name like mageia-forums.org or something
   else. We can add a redirect from http://forums.mageia.org/{en,de}/ to
   the new URL until all references to the old URLs are removed. On
   http://forums.mageia.org/ homepage we put a listing of all Mageia
   community forums
 - we provide them a dump of the current forums, after cleaning user
   passwords, and they do the install and import of the database on
   a new forum themself
 - we are not responsible for anything on the new forums

What do you think about this ?