[Mageia-webteam] Server requirements second attempt

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sun Feb 13 20:55:54 CET 2011

 On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:56:45 +0000, Kosmas Chatzimichalis wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Here's the second attempt about requirement for the server following
> the
> initial one some time ago.
>
> Not sure if we should be looking at the Mandriva Cooker rpms or other
> specific version.
> The ones below are from the Cooker distribution, but if I should be
> looking
> at a different one let me know:

 Well, for ruby, the issue is that we are using puppet on server, and so
 updating to cooker
 rpms is IMHO risky. I would prefer to keep it with supported and tested
 version ( as puppet
 is using rails for active record, for reporting and this is used for
 deploying postgresql db ).
 So I can try, but this will requires more testing ( as I need to check
 that everything still work
 fine on puppet side ).

>    - ruby-1.8.7.p330-1mdv2011.0.i586.rpm (main)
>    - ruby-RubyGems-1.3.7-1mdv2011.0.noarch.rpm (main)
>    - rails-2.3.10-1mdv2011.0.noarch.rpm (contrib)  - altough there is
>    security upgrade to 2.3.11 (
>
> http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2011/2/8/new-releases-2-3-11-and-3-0-4)
>    - Database to be used either MySQL or PostgreSQL
>
> I believe that there are benefits for using version 3, so I would
> like to
> investigate if it's possible to build a package for it.

 Well, how hard is this to update later the project to rails 3 ?
 I mean, the first version is quite simple, so what about doing the
 first in rails 2.X
 with fewer features, and later do it in rails 3 with more features (
 and likely better architectures, as we
 often gain insight of the application once we dvelop the first version
 and get the first feedback )

 Maybe this was badly specified, or I badly explained, but a simple CRUd
 will be enough, do not really
 add too much feature for the first version.

> If you know who is current maintainer for it, I can get in touch and
> see if
> I can help with that.

 Shikamaru, ( shikamaru at mandriva )

--