[Mageia-webteam] Gitorious - LDAP installation-integration Feasibilty

Kosmas Chatzimichalis Kosmas at mach7x.com
Thu Jan 6 18:48:44 CET 2011

Further to the discussion about gitorious setup and integration with ldap:

First there is a need for a git setup, as at this moment there are two
projects using git (mageia-app-db, mageia-maintainers-db).

In order to be able to use git, we can either host the projects
externally, or install git in the mageia servers and host the projects
there.
At the moment both projects are hosted externally, but when the mageia
servers have a git installation they can be transferred there.

For installing git on the mageia servers, we can either install plain
git or an application like gitorious, as suggested in the list
previously.

The first option about the plain git installation should be straight
forward and as simple as: urpmi git-core. Some more information about
transferring or creating git repositories from one server to another
can be found here: [1][2]

For the gitorious setup as it is a Ruby on Rails application there are
some requirements to be able to install it.
A blog post with full details can be found here: [3]
During the installation of gitorious there are two options:
Either install the application from source code or from the available rpm [4].
Before this stage though a few dependencies and requirements would
need to be installed.
Most of them are also relevant to the mageia-maintenainers-db.

NOTE: As mentioned before, I'm available to help on this stage, as
I've done similar installations before.

Finally, about the integration with ldap.
After a quick search, it seems that is possible and there are people
out there that have done that.
There are probably two different ways of achieving this.
First one seems to be through Apache and mod_ldap and smart http ([5][6])
Second one seem to be through PAM authentication ([6][7])

So, at this stage and without going into the actual installation
details, it seems that is possible to use git/gitorious and ldap.

[1] http://www.42.mach7x.com/2010/03/12/getting-your-github-git-project-to-dreamhost/
[2] http://railstips.org/blog/archives/2008/11/23/gitn-your-shared-host-on/
[3] http://cjohansen.no/en/ruby/setting_up_gitorious_on_your_own_server
[4] http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandriva/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/release/gitorious-0.9-4mdv2011.0.noarch.html