[Mageia-webteam] [Mageia-sysadm] Wiki setup

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 10 01:07:03 CET 2011

Le lundi 10 janvier 2011 à 00:24 +0100, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 00:04, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > And the downside is that you will have one and only one server for wiki,
> > no way to split among many server ( as noted by Benoit Audouard ).
>
> There would be ways to do so, if needed (front prox[y|ies] with
> rewrite/redirection rules to name one).
>
> The question is, do we need to plan today for this kind of scaling issue?

I do not think, but on the other hand, it may much easier now that
later. And well, even if there is lots of ram on alamut, I wonder what
would happen if we do have a crash ( ie, would we be able to cope with
the load spread on other server in case of crash ).

We do not intend to have a crash, and so far, i think we would be mostly
safe ( once we do have a backup server ), but it is not to me to remind
the fate of Mandriva servers :/

> > Now, what I would want to see is :
> > 1) who decide the language that goes ( because someone has to decide, I
> > do not think that media is so flexible that anybody can start here own
> > language, and if there
>
> That would be a wiki team (that is a mix of i18n and doc team I
> guess?). Against a specific policy (like, having a sufficient list of
> involved-enough people to take care of a newly open wiki locale).

Yup, so that should be decided ( not right now, but taken care if
possible before announcing the wiki ).

Just also to be sure, we do not plan for any specific complex acl ?
( IMHO, we should try to avoid, and if not possible, use group acl if
possible, and in last ressort, login based acl to avoid duplication ).

> > 2)  How many database do we need ( ie, creation of 1 big db, or several
> > smaller one ).
>
> 1 per language.

Good.
Can I also remind that we try to use postgresql everywhere, and that
would be nice to keep it this way ( mediawiki does support it, so that's
just to remind when doing the test ) ?

> > 3) is this : 1 big wiki instance, or several smaller one ?
>
> Depends how you set it up. @ Mandriva, we had a single code instance,
> and small custom config files (1 per locale).

I would favor this too because that's seems simpler.

> > Do we ever plan to have wiki not linked to language content ? ( like per
> > team wiki, or that will be section on the english one ? )
>
> I did not understand this one. :)

Ie, there will be only wiki/en, wiki/de, wiki/pt ?

No wiki/team/sysadmin/ , or something like that, or per project wiki if
any ?

> > I guess I can also take for granted that we will not manage 1 set of
> > extension per language ?
>
> Same codebase for every locale if possible (that's achievable).

Good, so that mean that there is only 1 wiki team, and not several one
( like it was at Mandriva (or at least, like i thought it was)).

I assume that this will be handled like i18n ?
Otherwise, each team will want a different set of extensions ( or at
least, the risk is not null that 2 teams request 2 redundant or
incompatible extensions, based on personal preference ).

--
Michael Scherer