[Mageia-webteam] planet.mageia.org - info/discuss about the installation

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Jan 31 03:47:32 CET 2011

Le vendredi 28 janvier 2011 à 13:31 +0100, Damien Lallement a écrit :
> Hello folks,
>
> planet.mageia.org is an old discussion (started in September (mostly
> IRL) when we installed blogs).
> It's an important website to spread Mageia and an aggregator about the
> project.
>
> As previously discussed on IRC or IRL, we have analyzed the different
> web based aggregator platforms we known:
> - planetplanet (http://www.planetplanet.org/)
> - planet venus (http://intertwingly.net/code/venus/)
>
> Then, we met Pascal Chevrel, from Mozilla Europe, in November, and
> discussed on a lot of things.
> He explained us how they were managing the Mozilla Europe Planet and
> made us discovered moonmoon (http://moonmoon.org).
> This platform fits all our requirements: "Moonmoon is stupidly simple"
> (no DB, no comments, no votes, flat files, ...)
>
> We expect to install this web based agregator on "champagne" to start
> ASAP the Mageia Planet.
>
> For know, we thought, for agregatted blogs on it, of the following
> rules:
> - anyone who asks for it
> - who is peer in a team
> - only post with a Mageia tag will appear on the planet.
>
> What do you think about all of this? Any comments or remarks?
> Thank you for the feedback.

That's quite short on lots of areas.

I will let the future technical hurdles aside and keep the real fun for
later, and just goes on the obvious ones :

"post with a mageia tag" just mean nothing, that doesn't give any
indication. If I use a blog system that do not support tag, I cannot be
syndicated ? If I post commercial stuff ( already happened ) or insult
people ( also already happened ), that's ok since there is a tag ?
If this is not ok, what does happen ?

Another usual area of contention is "Can someone post in a foreign
language" ?

What happen if someone is no longer a peer, does it get un-syndicated ?

What if someone or someone's post are a cause of controversy without
being clearly immoral/illegal/etc, and people complains ?
Non exhaustive list of people complains :
- Planet gnome :
    - Mark Shuttleworth ( controversy before he got syndicated ),
    - Phillipe Van Hoof ( belgian policy and pro flamand topics, and
        quite extreme opinions ),
    - David Schlesinger ( basically dissing gnu zealots, and doing Apple
        promotion ),
    - Miguel Da Icaza ( mono promotion )
Planet Fedora :
    - María Gracia Leandro (  posted daily photos on her blog ),
    - Nicu Buculei ( posted a photo seen as sexist ( removed now ) )
Planet Debian :
    - Raphael Herzog ( used some tools seen as too intrusive on a
         privacy level for the debian server, was seen as being asked
         to be "flattred" )

and that's all the recent examples I have got on my head. Not that I
cannot find more if I seek, but I guess that's sufficient to explain
that there is quite interesting challenge preparing.

Not to mention there is also small potential legal issues :
Should we ask the content be under a free license ( or the website would
not mix ) ?
Are we ( we == association ) responsible for this ?
( IMHO, it would not matter much under DADVSI provisions, and I do not
expect much trouble at all, but the question have to be asked none the
less, at least to be consistent with ourself )

 While being co editor at Planet Mandriva, I just didn't care about that
( PLF style ), and we were also quite 'liberal' in term of choosing who
could enter and who would get out, but that didn't cause trouble. People
could post what they wanted about what they wanted, in the language they
wanted.

But given the numerous issues that I have seen while discussing with
people in charge of others planets, more precise guidelines should be
described.

Or if you do not want guideline ( which I can also understand, because
that's usually a point of friction and so a time lose ), this should be
made clearer.

--
Michael Scherer