[Mageia-artwork] [RFC] Proposed logo guidelines

Olivier FAURAX olivier at faurax.fr
Wed Jan 19 01:28:22 CET 2011

Le 18/01/2011 00:31, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 00:02, Caroline Garlatti <cgarlatti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le dimanche 9 janvier 2011 17:52:28, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>> Indeed, I was working on it. You can see my first draft here:
>> http://www.kalypo.com/share/
>>
>> We have tried to:
>> - rebalance the logo: increase the size of the text and reduce the cauldron
>
> Actually, the size of the text made smaller relative to the cauldron
> (see http://blog.mageia.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/mageia_logo.jpg
> ) :-p

Yes, the cauldron is bigger, but also wider.

The cauldron border size was took from the size of the letter (bottom
border of the "e"), the new version breaks the link between the cauldron
and letter size.
To me, this suggests that the name an "annex" of the logo, like if ti
was of less importance.

>> - apply a gradient to dynamize the screen version of the logo (the print
>> version will be flatten)

Nice.

>> - introduce a color . This proposal offers the possibility to have one logo but
>> different color for each group (cf- Romain's mail_brand/logo management,
>> official/derivative)

We need to know where we are going with colors.
Do we have some input from marcom ?

I made some tests during the logo elaboration :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ofaurax/5118935357/in/set-72157625195368021/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ofaurax/5119536536/in/set-72157625195368021/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ofaurax/5159964096/in/set-72157625195368021/

The blue and orange are ok, but seems childish to me (I imagine them on
a toy).
It's ok if we don't want to suggest something "rock-solid" or corporate.

Note that the bubble in orange seems more natural, as we expect lighter
colors for bubbles.

For the letters, perhaps we might color "m", "g" and "a" of "mageia", as
this is its package suffix.

> With the time, I don't know if the color-coding will be enough to
> differentiate official/derivative uses.

I think that color is not enough to differentiate.
We'll discussed that in another thread.

- changed the font : this one is less wide (the "e" is no more rounded)
- filled the bubbles

The new border size of the cauldron with the filling of the bubbles
makes the icon heavier, especially the bubbles (I don't imagine tham
popping anymore).

I think that we need to fill them, or at least put a color in them, but
we might not lose the lightness of them (as this represents the boiling
of ideas).

> Anyway, we have two interesting refinement directions I guess:
>  - caroline, with the gradient, filled-in bubbles, and color uses,
>  - alexn83, with the font change (alexn83, I don't remeber, do you
> have the font reference, or is it reworked?) and the match of the i
> point with the bubbles

I'll try to put my remarks in another refinement as a showcase, if I
find some time.

Have a nice day
--
Olivier FAURAX, http://ofaurax.free.fr/