[Mageia-artwork] Meeting tonight

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 29 15:00:00 CEST 2011

Am 29.06.2011 14:43, schrieb Max Quarterpleen:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com
> <mailto:dmorganec at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Luc Menut <lmenut at free.fr
>     <mailto:lmenut at free.fr>> wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > Le 29/06/2011 08:42, Thorsten van Lil a écrit :
>      >>
>      >> Dear team-mates,
>      >> we will hold a short meeting today:
>      >> Topics are:
>      >> * Window decoration
>      >
>      > Mainly as a Mageia's user, and also as a packager, I would make
>     some remarks
>      > about window decoration for next Mageia release.
>      > We had several bugs in the past (at start of ia_ora in Mdv) with
>     our own
>      > window decoration.
>      > Maintaining a good window decoration is lot of work, and I'm not
>     sure we
>      > have enough manpower to do so (or that it's the best use of our
>     limited
>      > manpower!!).
>      > I would prefer if we use the upstream window decoration (and
>     widget style)
>      > of desktop environments (even if we have some differences between
>     DE), and
>      > we take time to polish the integration of most of graphics
>     applications
>      > (qt4, gtk2, and now gtk3 apps) in each DE.
>      >
>      > my 2 cents :-)
>
>     we need coherency between the desktops so we need the same default
>     theme for gtk and kde apps.
>
>     This is why i propose this :
>
>     KDE => Oxygen
>     GTK 3  => Oxygen-gtk3
>     GTK 2  => Oxygen-gtk
>
>     We can't use ia ora anymore for mageia  2 because we would need to
>     recode all the theme for gtk3 so better leave it in peace and use a
>     new one.
>
>     As a gnome packager i started to package oxygen-gtk3 and i will work
>     to have it usuable in our gnome 3.
>

> My 2 cents: I've never like ia-ora, and if I recall a discussion on the
> forum, neither do many other people.
> For that reason alone I think it would be expedient to switch the
> default scheme to Oxygen.
> But of course there are other, better reasons :P

Yeah, I doesn't like ia-ora either. And I'm with Dexter. We need
coherency. So to sums things up, we need a window-decoration, which is
available for kde(and qt), gtk2, and gtk3, or an engine which allows to
use a kde theme in gtk (or vice versa). So one of us, should collect the
available decorations which fits these requirements.
Mandriva has a new theme in KDE, which looks very similar to the new
GNOME3 decoration. So there should be probably some solutions, without
to much work for us.

Thorsten