[Mageia-artwork] Meeting tonight

Luc Menut lmenut at free.fr
Thu Jun 30 00:14:12 CEST 2011

Le 29/06/2011 15:20, Dexter Morgan a écrit :
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Thorsten van Lil<tvl83 at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I doesn't like ia-ora either. And I'm with Dexter. We need coherency.

It's probably better if we have a same look between the desktop
environments, but personnaly I don't think it's mandatory.
I just take a look at some screenshots of last release of Fedora,
OpenSuse and Ubuntu/Kubuntu; they don't use the same window decoration
for Gnome and Kde.

But we absolutly need to have in a given desktop environment, a coherent
look for qt4, gtk2 and gtk3 applications.

>> So to sums things up, we need a window-decoration, which is available for
>> kde(and qt), gtk2, and gtk3, or an engine which allows to use a kde theme in
>> gtk (or vice versa).

I'm now quite reluctant with such engine, after the catastrophic
experience we had with gtk-qt-engine in KDE4. I really prefer use native
engine for each GUI toolkit (like it is done by oxygen's team with
oxygen-gtk).

So one of us, should collect the available decorations
>> which fits these requirements.
>> Mandriva has a new theme in KDE, which looks very similar to the new GNOME3
>> decoration. So there should be probably some solutions, without to much work
>> for us.
>
> oxygen is the best because it answer to all you pre requires:
>
> 1- Oxygen is in heavy development so bugs will be fixed easily
> 2- Oxygen-gtk and oxygen-gtk3 are done by the same devs as oxygen for
> kde ( so point 1 is also valid )
> 3- Oxygen use all kde functionnalities ( like tab grouping, ... )
>
> I think we should adopt oxygen for mageia2 ( and after )  and more
> focus about colour palettes

I'm of course fully agree with this proposal :-).  If gnome's
maintainers and users are agree to use oxygen style in gnome, it's perfect.

regards,
Luc