[Mageia-artwork] Mageia 2 installer slide show images

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:03:30 CET 2012

Team,

I know this is not going to please all of you, but pleasing or not is
really not the point. I understand that these designs were started
several weeks ago and some of you spent quite some time on it. But
it's not good for shipping.

We have an extended deadline, to integrate all final stuff for RC. So
we can start all over. Would it be possible to have another quick
draft for next Monday or even before, with rendered texts (as final,
provided by marcom) in it? Some feedback about this very series below:

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:02, Sebastian sebsebseb
<sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com> wrote:
> [...]

Now, rules are made to be broken, but it's good to make sure to break
them the right way.

Rule: do not alter a logo. Don't do it. Especially when it's someone
else's logo; always check their guidelines when available and when in
doubt, abstain.

But this happens in (at least, just for illustration):
 * http://imgh.us/01.1_IM_mageia.png
 * http://imgh.us/349_04_IM_mageia.png
   - blender logo colours are altered; plus, it doesn't follow their
guidelines (http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/logo/)
 * http://imgh.us/13_07_IM_mageia.png
   - Firefox and Thunderbird logos are altered; see
http://www-archive.mozilla.org/foundation/identity-guidelines/firefox.html
or better http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/brand/ and
http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/identity-guidelines/thunderbird.html
   - GNOME logo looks with a border that doesn't fit
http://live.gnome.org/BrandGuidelines
   - KDE, same, see http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Guidelines/CIG/KDE_Logo
 * http://imgh.us/04.1_IM_mageia.png (and others)
   - don't play around Mageia (or any logo actually) identity gimmick
(the cauldron, here) because it confuses the identity.
 * http://imgh.us/01.0_IM_mageia.png
   - do we know for sure if the printed CD/DVD design will match this one?

Rule: favor legibility and clarity.
 * while the screen metaphor, in the screen, is nice, the text
contrast is poor and the density too high (bold font, text looks
constrained); and here on white background, the contrast is too light
as well (http://imgh.us/07.1_IM_mageia.png)
 * here it's too crowded: http://imgh.us/186_01.2_IM_mageia.png
 * in http://imgh.us/349_04_IM_mageia.png the pixellated disc is a
nice idea; but the rendering of it here is not

Rule: don't duplicate things
 * disc is twice here: http://imgh.us/196_02_IM_mageia.png

And, we need a full resolution rendering, to be sure there are no
detail left over.

(as for how to avoid getting in such a tunnel and acknowledging only
at the end of it that the result is not there, I'm open to
suggestions; I think we should have earlier proposals sent for review
to Council, but that may not be enough; I definitely could have
watched earlier and deeper into the proposals, but I had no focus on
the artwork team this time)