[Mageia-artwork] Did anyone check that...

Sebastian sebsebseb sebsebseb_mageia at gmx.com
Mon Mar 26 02:15:57 CEST 2012

Hi

I'll mention this on the artwork mailing list first, but I expect I can
in the council meeting later as well:

I recently thought of it again, did anyone check that the chosen
background, was really made by the person that submitted it? That it
wasn't for example found on the Internet and then submitted for
inclusion in Mageia? Or even taken from proprietary software that
included the image?

Also how was it made? What program did they use to make it? I hope open
source tools such as Gimp or Inkscape and not Photoshop for example.

The above doesn't just apply to the default background it apply's to all
of the ones that have been chosen for inclusion in Mageia.  Not much
good releasing Mageia 2 or a future release, and then finding out that a
background or more than one that was included in the distribution, was
made by not the person who Mageia people thought it was made by, but
someone else, and that actually it breaks copyright for example.

It's also good to know how these backgrounds were made, and ideally they
should be made using opensource/freesoftware, or maybe that should be a
requirement even. Except for obviously just photos, since the camera
makes those, but any editing can be done with open source tools.

We are meant to be a opensource/freesoftware Linux distribution and so
are artwork should be made using opensource/freesoftware tools as well
really for sure.

I don't think it's a good thing for Mageia to be in the kind of
situation Ubuntu is in, where as far as I know a lot of their more
recent artwork is made using Mac OS X and I think Photoshop as well. The
Ubuntu font was made using Mac OS X for example.

For marketing Mageia to some people, saying that the artwork was made
using only opensource/freesoftware tools and being able to prove it,
would work out to be quite a good thing.

 From Sebastian sebsebseb