[Mageia-bugsquad] Still need some help

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sun Dec 23 10:17:52 CET 2012

Hi Roelof,

Welcome to Mageia, and welcome aboard the bugsquad! I hope you'll enjoy
working with both :-)

In addition to the pointers you were already given by Marja and others,
I'd like to chip in with "bugs handling" the Remmy way.

Depending on my time available, energy, and other interests in life I
usually use one of the following two modes:

1) Read everything that comes in on the bugzilla mail list and pick up
that which I feel I can triage properly or help triage. I usually do this
during holidays, or when sick at home for a few days... Unfortunately, the
volume of bugzilla mails coming in is so great that once you slip a few
days it is almost impossible to get catched up. My trick for getting
catched up is "mark all as read" and start afresh. Hopefully others on the
team will have had time to look into these reports, and if not, they will
surface when executing mode 2.

For any bug reports that I have an active interest in myself, I add myself
to the Cc list. That way I will get any updates on them, even when I am
getting backlogged on reading the bugzilla mails themselves. The latter go
to a seperate folder automatically, the bugs where I am Cc'ed on go to my
regular inbox.

2) I like (love) saved searches in bugzilla. I find it very handy to ask
bugzilla: "Please show me all the new bugs of the past 2 days", "Show me
all open bugs having no action for the last xx days", "Show all bugs
assigned to bugsquad", etc. They enable me to quickly take actions on bugs
that need action and in which I have an interest. You can do one or two
whenever you have a few free moments to spare.

What I think is important to keep in mind is that unfortunately there is
more work to be done on triaging than any of us currently have time
available. As such, any help is appreciated and you don't have to feel
guilty about "not doing enough". All little bits help.

On the "triaged" keyword, I normally do not bother. Once a bug has been
assigned to the proper maintainer, I feel that's usually where my
involvement ends or should end. Only for cases where we can't assign the
bug to a maintainer, but there is little more we can do at this point (for
example, it's a bug in the upstream code of the program itself, and not a
bug in the Mageia packaging of that program) do I think that adding that
keyword is of some added value.

Thanks for joining, and hope to talk to you online some time :-)

Kind regards,

Remmy