[Mageia-dev] Distributed packaging for a community distro

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Sun Sep 19 13:52:35 CEST 2010

>  * Binary churn: If we add the tarballs, there can be a lot of binary
> churn. Cloning a git repo means we get the full history locally which
> means all copies of the tarball over the x years period. SVN is better
> suited to binary churn, only keeping the most recent version in your
> checkout. This is likely discussed above.

In Fedora, the tarballs are kept on a separate server, and a "sources" file
with SHA1 sums is included in the git repo. The "fedpkg" tool can upload
tarballs to the cache.

>  * Tagging: When a release is done, the packages need to be tagged. This
> is more awkward with individual repos rather than one central one, but I
> suspect it's a relatively easy process to script.

AFAIK, there's no global tagging for a release in Fedora.

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
"I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.
Then I realized who was telling me this." -- Emo Phillips