[Mageia-dev] Art, Logo and Branding

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Fri Sep 24 01:12:33 CEST 2010

Le 2010-09-23 18:50, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
> 2010/9/24 Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>:
>>

>> It may be to our benefit to see if some similar growth models could be
>> applied to Mageia.
>
> My main reason to applaud the decision to start Mageia and also my
> main motivation to join this project is the fact that it is community
> driven and community led. That it is not subject to commercial
> strategies and/or necessities or even pressure and restraints. I am
> not interested to face this situation again that some manager tells me
> what I have to do because of a situation he (or his kind) has created
> or caused.
>
> If somebody thinks about commercial options I will only agree if these
> options are under control of the community board, not the other way
> round, and if this commercial part has a different name and brand.
>
> I've been suffering from this mixture of commercial and half-free and
> free Mandriva Linux for years, having to correct misunderstandings,
> unclear descriptions and articles which still today make users at
> events ask me, "why Mandriva takes money for their distribution while
> Ubuntu is cost free?".
>
> I don't want that to be repeated with Mageia.
>
> wobo

Best to have these discussions at the initial stages of the project
rather than later after everything has been firmed up. It is certainly
harder/painful to change name and logos after they have been adopted.

Just in case, you never know, Mageia could actually become a good
contender in the top listed distro market. It certainly has the momentum
at this time.

Marc