[Mageia-dev] Art, Logo and Branding

Malo pierre-malo.denielou at inria.fr
Fri Sep 24 12:35:45 CEST 2010

Marc Paré wrote:
> I think in the grand scheme of things, we should all acknowledge that
> should the name "Mageia" not work, that a name change would be a
> possibility, just as a logo change is still a possibility. We have seen
> this from many OSS firms who went through this process.
>
> We should be careful in making the distro too "cottagey" or "home grown"
> in looks and flavour. I would suggest that the long term vision for the
> distro also include a commercial aspect. There should be a community
> driven distro and a commercial distro (read server). If we organise
> under these terms, then the choice of name, logo and branding changes.

Hi Marc,

I think you're mixing up 'marketing' and 'commercial'. The consumers are
not necessarily clients.

I think that Graham's point is that finding a name or a logo have to be
consequences of the project's philosophy, and not random accidents (as
in many FOSS or even commercial projects).

To answer Graham, it seems Mageia's founders thought  about that when
they started the fork : the notion of magic (or rather automagically) is
at the heart of the Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia vision.
The notions are (I'm quoting from http://mageia.org/):
- simplicity (targeting new (or lazy) Linux users)
- magical configuration tools (wizards)
- integration
- innovation
- community