[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 14:16:58 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Patrice BRUNELLE
<patrice.brunelle at free.fr> wrote:
> Le vendredi 24 septembre 2010 à 15:51 -0500, R James a écrit :
>>
>> Technically, the i686 started with the Pentium Pro.  (Remember that?  :o)
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6_(microarchitecture)
>
> Yes I remember that. And ?

Its just a precision to the subject title.  i686 began with the
Pentium Pro, not Pentium II.

I'm not sure what performance benefits can be gained from compiling
for i686 vs i586.  Probably not much except for multimedia
applications which most of those can auto-detect the CPU's
capabilities anyways.

There are still people running AMD K6's (ie: me) which is also i586.
If we compile for i686 and newer, they won't even be able to boot the
installer.

Therefore, I agree with the decision to keep i586 support.