[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 01:16:57 CEST 2010

Hello
On dimanche 26 septembre 2010 at 00:12, Tux99 wrote :
> > I'm not speaking about exclusion but about including or optimizing for
> > arch and hardware that NOBODY will use anymore, because can't.
>
> The optimization you are talking about (which will increase
> performance by a few percentage points at most, not noticeable at all
> in practice) means that the distro will be unusable for others.

Would it be possible to have the base system and non-graphical tools
compiled for i586, and the big desktops (KDE, gnome) and multimedia
applications compiled for i686 or better?

Would it be possible, in the (yet to be setup) build system that each
package define the minimum architecture it want to support?
In such a system, the maintainers could decide if it is worth to provide a
more optimized package or if the compatibility with older hardware should be
maintained.

I don't know if it is possible to mix i586 libraries with i686 programs,
would this be a problem?

--
Renaud Michel