[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Dick Gevers dvgevers at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 26 20:06:00 CEST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:32:49 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote about Re:
[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?:

>We have lots of examples of people with older and weak machines using
>Mandriva Linux 2010.1, although not with KDE or Gnome. It is not the
>basic system which needs the power of modern machines, it is the GUI,
>especially the Gnome and KDE graphical environments.

Yup: one of my boxes is a Compaq Proliant with a Pentium II at 300 MHz with
256 Mb of RAM running 2010.0, uptime 208 days. It will run GNOME, but
slowly. So I use IceWM. It will be upgraded when it has to reboot, to the
next official version of Mandriva or Mageia , if available by then.

Cheers,
=Dick Gevers=