[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 22:49:59 CEST 2010

On 27 September 2010 20:36, R James <upsnag2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even the original Mandrake of 1998 was compiled for i586 (Pentium
> Classic or newer)

Wrong!
Original mandriva was compiled i386. It was when we "merged" with
berolinux we targeted the i586 (spring 1999).
Using an experimental compiler (egcs).
At -O6.
All of this landed in version 6.0 with the new glibc-2.1 and the new kernel-2.2.
That was the distro where we defaulted to using udma.
On all hard disks. Even those who didn't supported.

Ah, me remembering the glorious days of mdk6.1 with chmouel chasing a
critical kernel memory leak just days before the release.
Hopefully Alan Cox saved us.
That was a beautiful year :-)

> so Mageia will never run on i386 or i486.  Those
> platforms are pretty much extinct and i386 can't do POSIX threads
> anyways.

i486 does. Did. At least fedora's glibc had patches for that.