[Mageia-dev] i686 must be Pentium II ?

R James upsnag2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 02:17:57 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen  wrote:
> 2010/9/27 Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>>
>> Wrong!
>> Original mandriva was compiled i386. It was when we "merged" with
>> berolinux we targeted the i586 (spring 1999).
>> Using an experimental compiler (egcs).
>> At -O6.
> pgcc powah!

Well, its a good thing I didn't bet my first-born on *that*! ;o)

>> i486 does. Did. At least fedora's glibc had patches for that.
> Yupp, I thought they had made their way upstream since though?

I've got a 486 running Slackware 12.1 so yes, I think so.

> There was also a i486 release of at least of either mandrake 7.0, 7,1
> or 7.2, wasn't there? :)

Yes, it was Mandrake 7.0.  Have a look at my screenie here:

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=58102

I've still got the iso if anyone wants a copy. ;o)

That was a special build which is why I incorrectly thought that none
of the other Mandrake releases supported i486.

Chmouel's name *still* appears in many startup scripts.  He must have
been a prolific coder back in the day...

Thanks for the memories. :o)
Rick