[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia WelcomeCenter?

atilla ontas tarakbumba at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:20:29 CEST 2010

2010/9/29 Gustavo Giampaoli <giampaoli.gustavo at gmail.com>:
> I found both aproaches really atractive and useful.
>
> Kaptan looks very intuitive, easy and centralize most (if not all) the
> most common and basic settings that a person with basic knowledge
> could need after the first boot.
>
> However, wobo's aproach is also important. What happends if
> Kaptan-like-tool hangs in the first boot and close? That's where info
> page will be really really useful. This is an extreme example, but I
> think I presents the idea well. A newbie will be almost "naked and
> screaming" without to know where to go for help.
>
> But, if Kaptan-like-tool doesn't hang and works fine, it's always
> important to let people know where they have to go if anything goes
> wrong or where to meet other user. You never know when a user could
> become an important contributor.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Gustavo Giampaoli (aka tavillo1980)

Main problem with Kaptan is that being a KDE tool. Otherwise, freezing
on first boot should not a problem. We can set a default configuration
for this purpose and user changes this configuration according to
his/her taste via Kaptan. So if it s***ks on first screen then nothing
to worry about. Also, an information page can be implemented as a
first tab to Kaptan like i see in mockups in this thread. I' m not a
programmer but i think implementing those should be easy. Main problem
is like i said, porting Kaptan to GTK code.