[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

atilla ontas tarakbumba at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 13:53:36 CEST 2010

2010/9/30 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> Agreed. Surveys are a nuisance anyway.
> 1. A large part of survey participants do not tell the truth.
> 2. A large part of users do not participate so you will not get any
> real information anyway.
> 3. If something is wrong with the project, the distribution, user
> satisfaction or whatever you will know it by user postings in the
> forums earlier than by surveys.
>
> So, at the end of the day,
> What do you get by surveys to take away?
> More work to implement and to read them, that's all.
I mean what wobo has written. Besides, forum posts are more effective
way to track users opinions about distro and applications. I always
hated this survey thing on Mandriva. Also it feels something like a
registration to a propierty application or validate a windows install.
Many users in Mandriva Turkiye community asked me if they *must* fill
survey and register their e-mails. Most of them were new to GNU Linux.

I think we should decide if we will implement a Welcome Center/Kaptan
to distro and if it is an informative screen or basic configuration
tool or both for newbies. I' m not interested in filling the blanks on
a survey. Also a survey would be introduced in main web site. Any
interested user should fill it.