[Mageia-dev] What do you think about create a Mageia Welcome Center?

Thorsten van Lil tvl83 at gmx.de
Thu Sep 30 14:06:43 CEST 2010

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: mageia-dev-bounces at mageia.org [mailto:mageia-dev-bounces at mageia.org] Im
Auftrag von Wolfgang Bornath

>2010/9/30 atilla ontas <tarakbumba at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Why we' re talking about a survey? Do we need this? We are not a
>> company and think about customer happiness. I thought this thread is
>> about a informational and/or assistance application for newbies.
>>

>Agreed. Surveys are a nuisance anyway.
>1. A large part of survey participants do not tell the truth.
>2. A large part of users do not participate so you will not get any
>real information anyway.
>3. If something is wrong with the project, the distribution, user
>satisfaction or whatever you will know it by user postings in the
>forums earlier than by surveys.
>
>So, at the end of the day,
>What do you get by surveys to take away?
>More work to implement and to read them, that's all.

Surveys are quite reasonable. You get a standardized conclusion. Many people
use a distribution without ever being registered at a forum. In a forum you
will only get the extremes (good and bad) but not the small papercuts that
may disturb the user, ... . There are many reasons for surveys (ask some
marketing guys or psychologists).

But that’s for the fine tuning. We can think about such things, if we
released some versions. And I think it never should bother the user. Maybe a
button in the welcome center "Your opinion is important for use" but not
with a autostart after the first boot.

Regards,
TeaAge