[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Dale Huckeby spock at evansville.net
Fri Oct 1 04:33:56 CEST 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Michael Scherer wrote:

> Le jeudi 30 septembre 2010 à 22:05 +0800, Kira a écrit :
>
>> "A distribution for Newbie" is good, but I think what Graham said is
>> better.
>
> Well,
> saying "a distribution for newbies" is not as good as it sound.
>
> If you market the distribution so people think "if you are a newbie, use
> this distro", people will think "he use this distribution so he is a
> newbie". This will drive knowledgeable peoples away to others
> distribution, because they will feel they will learn more by using
> another distro ( which is wrong ) and because others peoples will appear
> as more knowledgeable when they use a distro that is not aimed at
> newbies.

I think Mageia should be marketed/presented on the basis of its tools
and hardware recognition. It lends itself to easy configuration and
administration with the Mageia Control Center and its many excellent
individual tools, like the partitioner, so is newbie friendly, but is
also power user and system controller friendly, and person who wants
to learn computers friendly, if you want to use cli. We should talk
about our assets and explain what individuals/groups those assets might
be relevant to. Mandriva's/Mageia's unique set of tools is what
differentiate's it/them from other distros.

Dale Huckeby