[Mageia-dev] Talk of Browsers

Pascal Terjan pterjan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 06:34:35 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 21:27, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:

> What I did though is read the specs of the protocol that implements this
> 'feature' and I must say that it's not entirely clear what information
> Firefox passes on to Google when contacting the Google 'safe-browsing'
> databse. The current version of the protocol seems very complicated to
> me, I'd say unnecessarily complicated, which is not what you would want
> from a potentially privacy-sensitive feature.

Well the complexity of the protocol is to allow firefox to download
only needed part of the blacklist, without sending the url to google
and without downloading a huge list periodically.
All the information passed by firefox to google is which chunk of the
list it wants do download, this being determined by the beginning of
the hash of the url.
It would indeed be simpler to send the url.