[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:49:11 CEST 2010

Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> schrieb am 2010-10-01
> 2010/10/1 Graham Lauder <yorick_ at openoffice.org>:
> >> The families: if the kid wants a computer then either Dad buys a new
> >> one and the kids get the old, or they buy a new one but mom has no
> >> say, it's either Dad or the kids because the parents don't know
> >> anything about computers.
> >
> > Nonsense, It's interesting I know quite a few German families here in NZ,
I think it's quite strange to tell someone he's talking nonsense, when his
experience is based on linving in a country for decades and your own by
knowing some people who migrated from there...

> I don't know about marketing, I've just been living here for decades
> and been helping in the computer field for more than 15 years. I hold
> computer courses entry level, I give advice with computer purchases in
> families, etc. All my practical experience tells me what I've written
> here.
I have to fully agree with Wolfgang. The mother-centrated family model may be
true in the amer-austra-new-zealandian world (at least the soap operas on TV
tell this) but I'm quite sure that in more conservative europe the story is
quite different.
And: kids want their 3D-splash-them-all-games. Kids won't switch to Linux as
long as the games industry doesn't change.
Moms usually will work with what they know, every change is a problem, since
it's different from what they are used to and they have to learn anew.

Oliver