[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:59:17 CEST 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:43:13 -0400, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> SO IMHO, this is what we should seek if we want to survive. Gathering
> contributions should be one of our goals.

In my opinion, Magiea's primary market should be linux developers,
since they are the people who can contribute the most.  It should
also target people who want to use the distribution used by the people
who are actually developing the tools.  Magiea is the distribution
targeting the linux community itself.  Easy to use for all users,
especially developers.

Magiea should not be targeting windows or mac users.  It should be the
best linux distribution for linux developers, and users.  Things like
the welcome application are good, but the target market shouldn't be
new linux users.

I also think things like 3d, or "Desktop Effects" should be disabled by
default, as things like animating a window minimizing make the system
seem slow, even with good hardware.

Regards, Dave Hodgins