[Mageia-dev] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Fri Oct 1 16:16:48 CEST 2010

2010/10/1 Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com>

> On 1 October 2010 12:52, Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org> wrote:
> > But actually, just moving to git could make contributions easier,
> > because of the ability for developpers to commit locally, and push
> > incremental patchsets.
>
> It's easier for us developers but more difficult for translators that
> learned to use SVN (which was easy for them to swtich from CVS since
> the commands were similar)

Well, as KDE experience shows, SVN and Git are not incompatible, i.e. you
can have SVN for translators, even if some development are done in Git.
And, second, if we could use e.g. Transifex, then underlying VCS is mostly
irrelevant to the translators (though experienced ones who have proper
permissions could also interact directly with underlying VCS, be it SVN or
Git, if needed).

Marek Laane