[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Fri Oct 1 22:41:59 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 21:38:14, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2010, Olivier Méjean wrote:
> > What about a rolling distribution ? As an user (just plain user) i do not
> > think that installing a distribution is a goal, just a mean to use my
> > computer, so i wish i could not spend time installing a distribution
> > every 6 months or every year.
>
> And you prefer to spend time to update your distribution every day instead
> of every year ?

I update my distribution if not every day every week each time there is an
update, but moreover i need to update every 6 months if i want to have latest
versions. So right now the point is updating every day and upgrading to new
version every 6 months (and truely, i am still using 2010).

The question of time is a wrong question, i spend time upgrading every day
(well just clicking the applet, typing password and let's go !)

I don't know how often Mageia will be released, and how long all the versions
will be maintened, i am not sure that a fixed release is the best choice. My
feeling is that there is a huge hope, maybe not among developers, for a great
rolling distro (understand great by with many contributors) that could emerge
among all the fixed released distribution.

The point i want to emphasis is that i still do not understand why my Mandriva
2010 offers me OOo 3.1 while Mandriva 2010.1 offers OOo 3.2. Can OOo 3.2 work on
Mandriva 2010 ? It also means that Mandriva should look for patch for OOo 3.1
and OOo 3.2 to maintain those two versions (and by the way, on a Mandriva
2009.1 you have OOo 3.1.1-0.3, on 2010 you have OOo 3.1.1-2.5 and on 2010.1
you have OOo 3.2-4), Mageia will face the same problem. For me, as a user, it
would be simplier to provide just one version, the latest. Update can be
delayed, time to test. But i really do not understand why OOo 3.2 is not
available for Mandriva 2010 nor 2009.1. That's maybe a question of time of
compilation, take long time to create OOo rpms, it takes 3 times more to
create OOo rpms for 3 different edition (or is there any technical issue that
forbid OOo 3.2 on Mandriva 2010 and 2009.1 ?). I also doubt that OOo 3.1 is
still in development, neither seems OOo 3.2.

So i would not like the same for Mageia. It is a new project, we shall not
need to re-take everything from Mandriva, but rather innovate and there i
guess there is a way to innovate. Maybe a core part of the distribution could
be in fixed release, the rest in rolling release.

--
Olivier Méjean
Président de l'Association des Utilisateurs Francophones de Mandriva Linux