[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Sat Oct 2 02:09:47 CEST 2010

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010, Olivier Méjean wrote:

> Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 21:38:14, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> > On Fri, 01 Oct 2010, Olivier Méjean wrote:
> > > What about a rolling distribution ? As an user (just plain user) i do not
> > > think that installing a distribution is a goal, just a mean to use my
> > > computer, so i wish i could not spend time installing a distribution
> > > every 6 months or every year.
> >
> > And you prefer to spend time to update your distribution every day instead
> > of every year ?
> >

> I update my distribution if not every day every week each time there is an
> update, but moreover i need to update every 6 months if i want to have latest
> versions. So right now the point is updating every day and upgrading to new
> version every 6 months (and truely, i am still using 2010).
>
> The question of time is a wrong question, i spend time upgrading every day
> (well just clicking the applet, typing password and let's go !)

Security updates are different, they usually only do the minimal changes
required to fix bugs, so updating is not supposed to cause troubles
with other unexpected changes.

> So i would not like the same for Mageia. It is a new project, we shall not
> need to re-take everything from Mandriva, but rather innovate and there i
> guess there is a way to innovate. Maybe a core part of the distribution could
> be in fixed release, the rest in rolling release.

This rolling release already exists, it's called the backport
repository. But don't expect the same stability as the fixed release,
you can't have both.