[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Jérôme Martin mageia at delaur.net
Sat Oct 2 14:50:57 CEST 2010

Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010, Olivier Méjean a écrit :
> Le vendredi 1 octobre 2010 08:51:34, atilla ontas a écrit :

> > What's your opinion?
>
> What about a rolling distribution ? As an user (just plain user) i do not
> think that installing a distribution is a goal, just a mean to use my
> computer, so i wish i could not spend time installing a distribution every
>  6 months or every year.

My opinion is nearly the same: what is the need to provide a new version each
6 months? The marketing point of view is not a valid answer since we do not
need to satsify shareholders or follow the market.

So when a new version is needed? My point of view is that a new version is
needed when a big change will occur for exemple a new major release of KDE or
gnome, Xorg, perl, python, jdk, ...

We need to change our view. Actually, the date of the release is decide and
the deciders (maketting, CEO, CTO, ?) choose which softwares will be include.
I propose to look at release date of the main softwares and decide when a new
version will be proposed.

For smaller software, we do not need to wait for a new version of the distro.
Just provide it as we do with the backport repository.

And no, rolling distro does mean use cauldron, since the system is not
supposed to work properly and where critical breakage can appear.