[Mageia-dev] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Sun Oct 3 12:12:06 CEST 2010

Quote: Dimitrios Glentadakis wrote on Sun, 03 October 2010 10:18

> An old but interresting about interview for Mandriva's tools in perl:
> http://www.perl.com/pub/2005/02/24/mandrakelinux.html

Thanks for posting this that interview is very interesting.
It would be great if we could have Rafael Garcia-Suarez contributing to
Mageia.
Does anyone know what he does these days?

This quote is particularly interesting:

"Rafael: Not all tools were always written in Perl. However using
consistently a same language allows to share and reuse libraries across
all tools, be it the perl/rpmlib bindings or custom graphical toolboxes.
Thus, for example, the OS installer shares code with urpmi and rpmdrake. A
scripting language was preferred because of rapidity of development and
ease of debug -- attempts at writing rpmdrake in C were painful, although
that was before I was hired by Mandrakesoft. Perl was a natural choice
since there were already very good in-house skills for it."