[Mageia-dev] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 15:35:55 CEST 2010

On 3 October 2010 09:58, Fabrice Facorat <fabrice.facorat at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/2 Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:

>>> you know, when something have been broken for more than 2 years ... at
>>> some point you may think that the best would be to just change it ;-)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Close the World, Open the Net
>>> http://www.linux-wizard.net
>>>

>> Specifying what exactly is wrong is an essential issue here:
>> - Just "perl is hard to understand" isn't a problem for users, users
>> don't code it.
>
> but for dev and potential contributor this increase the antry barrier
> for contribution
>
>> - Not being used by other distros is again not a problem, each distro
>> has native tools that no other distros use (as misc said a couple of
>> emails up)
>
> sure. But do Mandriva still have enough man power to maintain so many tools ?

(Who's talking about Mandriva?)

About man power, if a distro doesn't have enough man power to maintain
so many tool, do you think it'll have enough man power to port them to
another language so that others can contribute / "lower the entry
barrier"? or even integrate other tools in the distro?

>> So, no, I wouldn't throw my old box out the window because if it works
>> even if it's slow, until I buy a new box / can afford a new box.
>> drakxtools work, until a viable alternative, if needed at all, is
>> provided they should be kept.
>
> I do say that we should do a complete analysis of all the mandriva
> tools ( drakxtools, drakwizard, ... ), and have the decision on a
> per-tool basis
>
> --
> Close the World, Open the Net
> http://www.linux-wizard.net

Sure. (Do you proposed to participate in that evaluation?).

--
Ahmad Samir