[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-discuss] About Mandriva tools future : Host Mandriva tools on github

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Tue Oct 5 00:09:54 CEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:53 -0400, Robert Xu wrote:
[...]

> would it be possible to move drakxtools slowly away from perl gtk?
> Or at least make perl gtk better (and provide a perlQt implementation?)

In principle there could be a GDK port to use Qt, so the same *drak code
would work with both toolkits.

> Because as far as I'm concerned, if any of these GUIs freeze up, it's
> automatically sucky.
> Which most of them will do (ex rpmdrake)
> (Even though most aren't, but this affects usability very much)

I have not seen rpmdrake freeze up, not like KDE apps :-) but that's
probably because I use a gnome desktop by preference.

But rpmdrake ported to Qt would probably "freeze up" in the same places.
It needs more asynchronous operations.  At one point I thought about
using dbxml (a small, fast interface to XML documents, with a btree
index and dynamic hashing), which would probably make rpmdrake and urpmi
a lot faster, but the dbxml packages didn't even build easily on
Mandriva, and the rpm didn't install the perl API.

Liam