[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 04:14:44 CEST 2010

On 5 October 2010 03:35, Fernando Parra <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:32:56 -0500
> From: Fernando Parra <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>
> Newsgroups: mageia-dev at mageia.org
> Subject: Re: How will be the realese cycle?
>

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 20:01:33 -0500
> Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Fernando Parra <gato2707-/E1597aS9LQGXtTpemXPTA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> > Could we have a different approach?
>> >
>> > As a computers professional I love the idea of upgrading my distro's version every 6 months, but as a teacher, I simply can't do that, (maybe I only can do that every two years)
>> >

>> One would be the current community version to give it a name and the
>> other one would be the long term release, like the corporate
>> desktop/server of Mandriva.
>>
>> > But in my two personalities I want (and in determinated circumstances I simply need them) some programs running in its latest versions
>> >
>> > A different approach could be a "light rolling distro", let me explain. A distro with a selected number of programs updated regular as their new versions are available.
>>
>> That's what backports are for, no need for a "light rolling distro",
>> just contribute and help doing the backports for different Mageia
>> versions if you really want them. That's what I do and it was one of
>> the main reasons to become a contrib packager :)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Juancho
>>

> Maybe backports are funny for a user with more experience than a regular one, but if we are trying to maintain a user friendly distro, We must improve in the things that they really ask us.

Usually it's just:
- enable a backports repo
- search for the app you want
- if a newer version exists there, install it.

rpmdrake (aka "install & remove software") makes it even easier, you
don't need to explicitly enable backports, just change the filter to
"Backports" and it'll show packages from there.

> One of the regular questions I received when install a linux distro is: "But I really need to upgrade all my OS, if I only want the new version of my Office Suite?"

That's what backports are for, you get the latest version of an app
without upgrading your whole system. For example look at the backports
repos in 2010.1, you'll find the latest version of: wine, openshot,
vlc, chromium-browser, gimp.

Latest version of firefox usually got pushed as an official update.

> Let me remind you, The privative OS don't have this model, in them the users can install a new version of their favourite software as they want (or pay it). This is true at least as a Mayor upgrade at the OS, and in some cases the compatibility are maintained.
>
> I understand that it could be a technical problem, for that reason I proposed packages developed by other's different than gnome and kde.
>
> Send me a light in my ignorance, could you install any new version of OOO downloading the packages directly from de OOO site without meaning the distro version (except of course when occurs a mayor upgrade at their main pieces, kernel by example)?

Actually yes, it's one of the - rather rare - cases where upstream,
OOo, offers readily installable binary rpms :)
(although you have to bear in mind that the openoffice version in the
Mandriva repos was the http://go-oo.org/ version, which has a saner
build system and is easier to maintain).

> Saludos desde México
> --
>  <gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>
>

> --