[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Oct 5 15:44:53 CEST 2010

> However, changing to a "light" rolling distro would force other users, who
> don't necessarily want these updates (or, don't want to pay for all the
> bandwidth for these updates, because they are happy with the version they
> have) to download them.
>
>> Other distros are now trying this model, only for browsers as I now.
>>
>> We can run a poll for select what are the programs in that list, and then
>> the devel team must tell us what programs can be upgraded due technical
>> reasons and what programs can't do.
>>
>> My own favourites list is:
>>
>> Openoffice (LibreOficce?)
>
> So, you want to force everyone to download 300MB of packages, because you want
> a few new features?

We were just reminded in another thread that many users are still using
dial-up services. I think we should also keep this in mind. It would be
nice to know, even if you are just speaking in terms of your knowledge
of your country, if dial-up service are prevalent in your country.

The update or do a rolling update may have a huge impact on these users.

In Canada, dial-up is still used but high speed hookup is the norm.

Marc