[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:41:40 CEST 2010

On 5 October 2010 17:36, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:

> Quote: Ahmad Samir wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 16:27
>> And nothing breaks? no critical apps get broken in that model?
>>
>> Personally I haven't use PCLinuxOS before, so can't tell for sure; my
>> guess would be yes, stuff break because new versions are prone to
>> introduce regressions. Note that this happens in cooker, which is
>> indeed a rolling distro.
>
> Sure there can be breakages, but i have also experienced breakages (even
> huges one like 2009.0 with kd4 updats completely uninstalling kde3 even
> though kde 3 was still supported in 2009.0) with the mandriva model of
> backported security fixes.
>
> Saying that the current mdv model is safer than a 'light' rolling model as
> suggested in the previous posts is your personal opinion, not a fact.

A personal opinion based on facts.

A rolling distro isn't a defined term, as Michael explained, now you
add "light" to the equation and it becomes even more undefined.

I said all I got to say on this topic, now I can wait and see how
things turn out (my guess would be it'll stay the same, Cauldron a
rolling/dev distro, and stable releases on predefined intervals, just
my "personal" guess).

--
Ahmad Samir