[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Olivier Méjean omejean at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 5 17:41:54 CEST 2010

Le mardi 5 octobre 2010 16:27:20, Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 5 October 2010 16:21, Olivier Méjean <omejean at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> How is it a waste?
> >>
> >> A practical example is the college professor / school teacher (see
> >> Fernando Parra post a few emails back); he doesn't want to upgrade the
> >> boxes in the lab, he doesn't care if they have the newest/shiniest
> >> versions, just that the distro is stable and works(tm). The same
> >> applies for a company, servers... etc. We aren't talking only about
> >> personal boxes that can break without too much drastic consequences.
> >
> > No need to update. What on earth is that feeling that a rolling distro
> > forces users to update ?
>
> Really? they wouldn't be interested in security updates at all?

I just say that updating is not something imposed, you are free to update or
not to update, you are free to just install security updates. Either under
fixed or rolling no one is imposed to do updates. When reading the topic i get
the feeling that some think that rolling distro means to be forced to do
updates.

> >> Again a rolling distro is something that's not clearly defined. And to
> >> be honest, a rolling distro isn't suitable for new or inexperienced
> >> users. Simply because you can't guarantee that a new package won't
> >> introduce regressions (or totally break an app), in this case an
> >> experienced user will know how to revert to an older version, a new or
> >> inexperienced user won't.
> >>
> >> Look at the rolling distros that've been mentioned, Debian or Gentoo,
> >> right? would anyone recommend Debian or Gentoo for a
> >> new/inexperienced/non-power user?
> >
> > PCLinuxOS is a rolling distro and is to inexperienced users.
> >
> > Olivier
>
> And nothing breaks? no critical apps get broken in that model?
>
> Personally I haven't use PCLinuxOS before, so can't tell for sure; my
> guess would be yes, stuff break because new versions are prone to
> introduce regressions. Note that this happens in cooker, which is
> indeed a rolling distro.

From what i've heard (mainly former users of Mandriva who switched to PCLOS
because they did not want to change their distro every 6 months while wishing
to have up-to-date softwares) there is no major break.

Rolling distro does not mean no test for updates or no development version.

I find it odd for a user llike me to read that we can have a rolling
distribution unstable, but we can't have a stable rolling distribution

Olivier