[Mageia-dev] Various proposals around backports and other media management

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Oct 6 18:19:59 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 6 octobre 2010 12:20:54, Michael Scherer a écrit :

> Le mardi 05 octobre 2010 à 23:06 +0100, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> > On Tuesday, 5 October 2010 19:46:45 Samuel Verschelde wrote:
>
> > > Some user communities already did that for 3rd party
> > > repositories for Mandriva, and having it in a centralized and visible
> > > place would make backports more visible. How many users know that latest
> > > versions for wine, wesnoth (one of the best opensource games), vlc, and
> > > many other packages are already available in backports media for mandriva
> > > ? Today there is a changelog mailing list, but this is not for everyone.
> > > This would be more user-centric than packager-centric. I tried to improve
> > > backports visibility on the Mandriva forum, but without any automation it
> > > took an enormous amount of time to maintain :
> > > http://forum.mandriva.com/viewforum.php?f=123 (see threads beginning with
> > > "New Soft" or "Backport")
> >
> > RSS feed or use of twitter by build system may be useful ....
>
> Youri already have RSS, afaik.
> http://www.zarb.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/youri/soft/submit/trunk/lib/Youri/Submit/Step/Action/RSS.pm?revision=2100&view=markup
>
> Twitter/statusnet could be easy to add , according to
> http://status.net/wiki/Libraries , this would quite trivial
>
> I even think that a plugin to post on a forum could be done. A little
> bit less trivial, but I am ok to work on it, once everything we have is
> running.

There's some part that is manual, that's why I thought some part could be automated, then part of the documentation team (which I would join for this task) would have to :
- explain what changed (and/or copy the changelog from the projects site for version updates)
- add screenshots of the software (it just looks good with screenshots, and you see

That's why I thought that a dedicated place on the website (must join the webmaster team for that... How many teams will I join ? :p) would be better than the forum, but this is debatable. Another reason is that the website may be translated (update annouces in your own langage is a real plus), whereas I don't think it'll be easy with the forum.

However, before having the full-featured thing, why not start by automated posts to the forum !

Regards

Samuel