[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at multilinks.com
Wed Oct 6 17:14:09 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, 5 October 2010 23:39:09 Tux99 wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, nicolas vigier wrote:
> > > I think you misunderstood the concept proposed, we are not talking
> > > about replacing cooker/cauldron, just merging updates and backports
> > > for the released version.
> >
> > And then you run "urpmi --auto-select" on your server, and all your web
> > sites stop working because php was updated to a new version which is not
> > 100% compatible with the previous one ...
>
> Hmm, two things, actually three:
>
> 1) I'd never use Mandriva on a server, because of the short support
> period, a server OS requires at least 4-5 years support lifecycles
> (I'm not talking about MES here, just the normal Mandriva variants)

Who said anything about Mandriva?

What would convince you to run Mageia on a server (assuming e.g. a 4-5 year
support lifecycle).

BTW., I know quite a lot of people that run Mandriva on servers ...

> 2) from my experience "urpmi --auto-select" does that anyway, it doesn't
> seem to differentiate between updates and backports (unlike drakrpm that
> correctly ignores backports when checking for updates)

Use --update option, or 'urpmi --auto-update'.

> 3) I mentioned earlier that the packager would need to use good
> judgement and not include major incompatible version changes

You are aware that this is significantly more work than 'mdvsys submit -t
2010.1 --define section=main/backports $package' (after some minimal testing of
course)?

Regards,
Buchan