[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at multilinks.com
Wed Oct 6 15:21:00 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, 5 October 2010 15:04:57 Tux99 wrote:
> Quote: Gustavo Giampaoli wrote on Tue, 05 October 2010 16:01
>
> > In fact, what you need to define is what's the "core" system.
> >
> > Then you could see "core system" will be updated every X month.
> > Example: you decide to update core system every 12 month.
> >
> > So, "core system 2011" will last 12 month. But during those 12 month
> > you provide constantly updates / upgrades for all the rest of the
> > software that isn't part to "core".
> >
> > And of course, for "core system 2011" updates / bug fix / security
> > patches / etc.
> >
> > During those 12 month, you can work in "core system 2012".

What constitutes the "core" ?

BTW., this was tried in Mandriva before. The idea was to have kernel and
toolchain be common between two different releases of Mandriva. However, it was
abandoned in order to have support for new hardware in the next release ....

> > Here, the "rolling" part is the "non-core" software that is constantly
> > updated.
> >
> > This way "core system" becomes more stable every day during the whole
> > year. But without getting older because in every moment you have the
> > latest GIMP or Thunderbird available.

So it is impossible that a new xulrunner can break other apps? Or that a gimp
update requires newer libraries which could potentially require rebuilds of
many other apps (well, this is better than on Fedora, as we have a sane
library policy).

> This is very similar to what I just suggested so I perfectly agree with
> you.

As a package maintainer in Mandriva, one who has submitted a number of
packages to backports, I don't find much of a problem with the current Mandriva
setup.

Please provide *real* problems with the Mandriva backports setup (besides "my
favourite app is not up-to-date in backports", unless you have filed a bug to
request it and there was no technical obstacle to it).

Regards,
Buchan