[Mageia-dev] Identifying Target Markets

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Oct 6 21:11:00 CEST 2010

Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-10-03 05:20, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>> 2010/10/3 Tux99<tux99-mga at uridium.org>:
>>>
>>> Germans are used to not question authorities, so this is not strange.
>>> Different country, different mentality, that's why talking abut global
>>> PR/marketing strategies makes little sense.
>>>
>>> So many global corporations had to learn this the hard way.
>>
>> Germany is only one example among others.
>>
>> But I just remember this theory that at the end of the day you can
>> apply market strategies worldwide only with small adjustments. That's
>> crap. I know somebody in the marketing dep of a large supplier fo baby
>> food. They deliver to more than 25 countries in Europe and Middle East
>> - you know what? They had to implement 8 totally different marketing
>> strategies for those 25 countries becaus of totally different mind
>> sets, cultures, religions, family structures, etc.
>>
>> In general: I do not agree to a specialized marketing strategy with a
>> comparatively small target group.
>>

> I don't believe that anyone is talking about having a global strategy
> for Mageia. The subject line does say "Identifying Target Markets". I
> believe the intent was to focus on some groups where there was a
> possibility of expanding the usage of Mageia. Adapting to regional
> differences would then make part of the target strategy.
>
> Marc
Exactly.  We would hopefully identify at least several target markets.
So far we seem to have at least 2 : "Education" and "young family".
And then we need the help of those from the various regions around the
world to help us penetrate these markets.
So far in simplified terms, for the "education" target, we have focus on
school boards in US/Canada and Australia/New Zealand; focus on regional
gov'ts in Germany.

Think we're making progress, everyone :)

- André (andre999)