[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 7 02:34:10 CEST 2010

Le 2010-10-06 20:02, vfmBOFH a écrit :

> 2010/10/7 Marc Paré <marc at marcpare.com
> <mailto:marc at marcpare.com>>
>
>     Le 2010-10-06 17:10, vfmBOFH a écrit :
>

>         2010/10/1 atilla ontas
>         <tarakbumba at gmail.com
>         <mailto:tarakbumba at gmail.com>
>         <mailto:tarakbumba at gmail.com
>         <mailto:tarakbumba at gmail.com>>>
>

>             I'm just wondering if we follow Mandriva's release cycle
>         model. Every
>             6th months a release or one year and one release. I think we
>         should
>             make one release in one year. By doing so devs and
>         translators won't
>             be in rush in every 6 months. Also there are major changes like
>             systemd/upstart; those system related things will be more
>         mature in a
>             year to use. It makes the distro more stable and decraese
>         mirrors
>             space waste.
>
>             One more thing. Do we follow Mandriva's release naming
>         scheme? I.e. do
>             we call our first release 2011.x ? I don't like this naming
>         scheme and
>             suggesting using number of release as naming like Mageia 1.0
>         or using
>             code names.
>
>             What's your opinion?
>

>         Hi all.
>
>         At this time, there is a survey asking to the blogdrake's community
>           what kind of release cycle they prefer. This survey will be active
>         until the weekend and I think this could be an acceptable look about
>         community preferences.
>
>         We must keep on mind we're creating a user-oriented distro, so
>         we must
>         be stay in touch about their preferences.
>
>         Cheers
>

>     Where is the survey?
>
>     Marc
>

> Sorry, the word is "poll" :P
>
> Blogdrake is the mandriva's oficial spanish-spoken forum.
>
> You can find the poll at the frontpage: http://blogdrake.net

IMHO, I think such a poll could be mis-leading as it supposes that users
will have experienced "rolling releases", "light rolling release", "LTS"
and the Mandriva "update/upgrade". If enough people vote, the vote will
show the Mandriva way as being preferred as, again, most users do not
have that much experience in different upgrade/update methods. It will
be a closer result if fewer people take part in it.

I think the distro dev's would be in a better position to explain the
pro's and con's of these different types and explain to we users the
amount of work/development time needed to maintain these.

Marc