[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 03:35:50 CEST 2010

Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 5 October 2010 19:53, Tux 99<tux99-mga at uridium.org>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Ahmad Samir wrote:
>>

>>> I looked at the description that Michael gave. And I think I know what
>>> a rolling distro is having Cooker and all :). light/heavy makes no
>>> sense here.
>>>
>> I give up, i'm not sure if it's a communication problem or if you are
>> simply pretending not to understand to wind us up.

Actually, Ahmad is not the only one who doesn't seem to understand.
Currently with Mandriva you can update to newer versions of an
application, which often entails updating a large number of packages.  I
don't see what this so-called rolling distro would accomplish.

> Well, according to you I don't understand what you're saying, and also
> Michael doesn't understand what you're saying, but maybe it's
> coincidence?
>
> I can only speak for myself though, IMHO, a rolling distro model
> wouldn't work well in Mageia. It'll mean more work for packagers and
> instead of packagers
> concentrating/working-more/giving-more-of-their-free-time before a
> release is pushed to polish their packages / fix critical bugs in
> them, the workload will increase throughout the whole year, because
> new versions are released all the time by upstream.

I agree
>>> It's not I'll-work-my-own-way-and-do-what-I-want, any packager can do
>>> so in his own repo/distro. There'll be rules which should be followed
>>> even in a community-driven distro, otherwise it'll be chaos.
>>>
>> Sure, guidelines on how to package, but not on what particular package a
>> specific packager has to package otherwise it wouldn't be a fun project
>> but rather unpaid drudge work.
> I was mainly talking about major version upgrades in stable releases,
> whether they go to backports or updates, that'll be according to the
> policy the project leaders agree on. Packaging policies should always
> be used, to maintain the quality of the packages in the distro.

Right - unless we want Mageia to be known as a hacker's distro :/
> FWIW the argument that a rolling distro will cause less mirror size is
> a bit wrong, main/updates + main/backports are always much smaller
> than main/release, the same goes for contrib (though contrib/release
> is bigger than all other repos put together).

That reminds me of another point.  (Off topic, I know)
The idea of having a core group of essential applications, and putting
everything else (except non-free) into contrib would make the size of
contrib even more unbalanced.

- André (andre999)