[Mageia-dev] How will be the realese cycle?

andré andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 7 03:59:53 CEST 2010

Ahmad Samir a écrit :
> On 6 October 2010 05:02, Fernando Parra<gato2707 at yahoo.com.mx>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:47:20 +0200
>> Ahmad Samir<ahmadsamir3891-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:

>>> How is it a waste?
>>>
>>> A practical example is the college professor / school teacher (see
>>> Fernando Parra post a few emails back); he doesn't want to upgrade the
>>> boxes in the lab, he doesn't care if they have the newest/shiniest
>>> versions, just that the distro is stable and works(tm). The same
>>> applies for a company, servers... etc. We aren't talking only about
>>> personal boxes that can break without too much drastic consequences.
>>>
>> Please don't write words in my name, I never wrote something like that, security and stability are as important to as for an any other user, but I need the latest version of some programs, without upgrade all the distro every 6 months.
>>
> I didn't mean to put words in your mouth; I wasn't talking about you
> in particular but about school/university computer labs case in
> general.
>
> And what I posted doesn't contradict "I need the latest version of
> some programs, without upgrade all the distro every 6 months."; I am
> pro backports repos (when possible), but not a rolling distro model.

Exactly,  Fernando, you can install the distro release every 12, 18 or
24 months if you wish.
Just ensure to make security and other bug fixes on a regular basis, and
any backports and other updates you would like, in the interim.
Stable distro releases every 6 months will make Mageia more stable than
a rolling distro, with less effort.

- André (andre999)